American Babbitt offers failure analysis services for your industrial components. It is essential to properly monitor the health of your babbitt bearings in industrial equipment, in order to prevent major machinery damage and avoidable mechanical issues. The repair and manufacture of babbitt bearings is a precise science, and at American Babbitt we are experts in our field. Our experts are able to quickly identify and diagnose pitted, fatigued, or otherwise damaged bearings, in order to better preserve your industrial equipment.
Common bearing failures include:
- Electrical Pitting—Caused by the arcing between components, this renders a bearing incapable of holding an oil film.
- Fatigue—Hairline cracks in a babbitt in the direction of the rotation.
- Cavitation—Caused by vapor bubbles in areas of rapid pressure change, cavitation appears as irregular voids in the babbitt.
- Erosion—This type of damage may show as voids with smoothed edges.
- Corrosion—Often lattice like in appearance, this damage includes removal of the bearing lining from chemical causes.
American Babbitt provides failure analysis services for a number of industries, including:
- Aluminum Mills
- Cement Plants
- Chemical Plants
- Crushed Stone and Lime Producers
- Fossil Plants
- Hydro/Pump Storage Plants
- Motor Repair Shops
- Nuclear Plants
- Steel Mills
- Paper Mills